I’ve spent the last 3 months with DMX on several different DMX installations and I wanted to take a minute to share my experience regarding WebDAV and the Windows Clients. This is by no means a formal “this works and doesn’t work” post… it’s a “Hey this is what I’ve experienced so far and would love to see if you saw something different” type post
Windows XP – works with WebDav perfectly
Windows Vista – does NOT work with DMX WebDAV natively. You need to install the following patches. In general WebDAV and Vista works but my experience over the past few months (and 480 desktops) is that it’s cranky.
1. KB 907306 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907306 NOTE this is not included in Vista SP2 – but is in Office 2007 updates
2. KB 942392 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942392 corrected with Vista SP1
3. KB 941298 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941298 corrected with Vista SP1
4. KB 941890 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941890 corrected with Vista SP1
5. In addition to these updates you need to review http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841215 if you are using WebDAV over HTTP and not HTTPS
Windows 7 – WebDAV appears to only work for Sharepoint. It does not work with any 3rd party WebDaV server that I have tested so far (including DMX). There are no current KB articles on it. There are hundreds and hundreds of complaints about it (do a quick search on google). At this time the only way I’ve been successful with Windows 7 and DMX is using a 3rd party WebDAV client like webdrive (http://www.webdrive.com/p.../webdrive/index.html) . I’m not saying that Windows 7 won’t work… I’m saying that I haven’t been able to get it to work reliably. This *may* be corrected with the upcoming SP for windows 7.